banner 160×300

Authentic Duas for Sleep Time with References*


Updated on 23rd Sep,2026

7 Authentic Duas for Sleep Time with References*

Dua for sleep


For a long time, I used to struggle with disturbed sleep until I started following the authentic Sunnah bedtime routine of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. What I am sharing in this article is not copied from random websites, but these are 7 authentic Duas for sleep that I personally recite every night with proper references from Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.

 From the short Dua 'Bismika Allahumma Amutu Wa Ahya' to Ayat-ul-Kursi and Tasbeeh-e-Fatima, this 5-minute routine has completely changed my sleep. Below you will find the exact Arabic text, transliteration, translation, and reference for each Dua so you can also protect your night and turn your sleep into Ibadah.


*1. The Basic Dua Before Sleeping*

                                      بِاسْمِكَ اللَّهُمَّ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا  

                         Bismika Allahumma amutu wa ahya  

Meaning: In Your name O Allah, I die and I live  

*Reference:* Sahih al-Bukhari 6324, Sahih Muslim 2711  

 bismika allahumma amutu wa ahya, dua before sleeping, islamic bedtime dua


*2. Surrendering Yourself to Allah

اللَّهُمَّ أَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِي إِلَيْكَ، وَوَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِي إِلَيْكَ، وَفَوَّضْتُ أَمْرِي إِلَيْكَ، وَأَلْجَأْتُ ظَهْرِي إِلَيْكَ، رَغْبَةً وَرَهْبَةً إِلَيْكَ، لاَ مَلْجَأَ وَلاَ مَنْجَا مِنْكَ إِلاَّ إِلَيْكَ، اللَّهُمَّ آمَنْتُ بِكِتَابِكَ الَّذِي أَنْزَلْتَ، وَبِنَبِيِّكَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلْتَ  


*Meaning:* O Allah, I submit myself to You, I turn my face to You, I entrust my affairs to You...  

*Reference:* Sahih al-Bukhari 6313  

** surrender to Allah before sleep, dua for protection in sleep, tawakkul dua


*3. Ayat-ul-Kursi*

                                            اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ...  

*      * Allahu la ilaha illa huwal hayyul qayyum...  

*Meaning:* Allah, there is no god except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer...  

*Reference:* Surah Al-Baqarah 2:255. Virtue: Sahih al-Bukhari 2311  

** ayat ul kursi for sleep, quran for protection at night, dua for peaceful sleep


*4. Last Two Verses of Surah Al-Baqarah*


                                        آمَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِن رَّبِّهِ...  

*                     * Aamanar rasulu bima unzila ilaihi mir rabbih...  

*Reference:* Surah Al-Baqarah 2:285-286. Virtue: Sahih al-Bukhari 5009, Sahih Muslim 807  

 last 2 verses of baqarah, quran for insomnia, night protection dua


*5. The Three Quls

Surah Al-Ikhlas 112, Surah Al-Falaq 113, Surah An-Nas 114. Recite each 3 times  

*Reference:* Sahih al-Bukhari 5017  

3 qul before bed, ruqyah for sleep, sunnah sleep routine


*6. Tasbeeh-e-Fatima*


سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ 33, الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ 33, اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ 34                           4  

** SubhanAllah 33, Alhamdulillah 33, Allahu Akbar 34  

*eferences:* Sahih al-Bukhari 3705  

** tasbeeh e fatima for sleep, zikr before bed, dhikr for rest


*7. Dua for Protection from Punishment*
*  

                                             اللَّهُمَّ قِنِي عَذَابَكَ يَوْمَ تَبْعَثُ عِبَادَكَ  

* Allahumma qini azabaka yawma tab'athu ibadaka  

*Meaning:* O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the Day You resurrect Your servants  

*Reference:* Sunan Abi Dawud 5045  

 dua for safety in sleep, protection dua, islamic night supplicatio.


Sleeping in Islam is not just rest, it is called the minor death, which is why Prophet Muhammad ﷺ never slept without remembering Allah. In this article, I have collected 7 most authentic and powerful Duas for sleep time with complete Arabic text,

 transliteration, English meaning, and Sahih references from Bukhari and Muslim. I personally follow this exact routine every night to get peaceful sleep and protection from nightmares. If you are looking for a short dua before sleeping or a complete Sunnah bedtime Adhkar routine, you will find everything here in one place.


* FAQ: Sleep Duas in Islam*  


*Q1: Why do Muslims recite duas before sleeping?*  

In Islam, sleep is called the "minor death". The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ taught us to remember Allah before sleeping so we place our trust in Him. These duas bring peace, protect from nightmares and evil, and turn our sleep into worship. It reminds us that life and death are in Allah’s control.


*Q2: What is the shortest authentic dua for sleep?*  

_Bismika Allahumma amutu wa ahya_ - "In Your name O Allah, I die and I live". The Prophet ﷺ said this every night. Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 6324. It’s short but covers complete reliance on Allah.


*Q3: Does Ayat-ul-Kursi really protect during sleep?*  

Yes. A companion was told by Shaytan himself that whoever recites Ayat-ul-Kursi before bed, Allah will appoint a guardian and Shaytan will not come near until morning. Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 2311. That’s why many Muslims recite it nightly.


*Q4: What are the "3 Quls" and how should I recite them?*  

The 3 Quls are Surah Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, and An-Nas. The sunnah is to cup your hands, recite each once, blow into them, and wipe over your body. Do this 3 times before sleeping. Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 5017. This is excellent for protection and especially for children.


*Q5: What is special about the last 2 verses of Surah Baqarah?*  

The Prophet ﷺ said: "Whoever recites the last two verses of Surah Al-Baqarah at night, they will be sufficient for him." Scholars say "sufficient" means protection from harm, Shaytan, and it counts as praying at night. Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 5009.


*Q6: What is Tasbeeh-e-Fatima and why is it for sleep?*  

When Fatima RA complained about tiredness from housework, the Prophet ﷺ taught her: 33x SubhanAllah, 33x Alhamdulillah, 34x Allahu Akbar. He said it is better than a servant for strength. Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 3705. Many people find it calms the mind and helps sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what is treatment of depression and anxiety in Islam?

Hijab And Parda in Islam for Women

بے چینی سے سکون تک: قرآن کا نسخہFrom restless to peace